Saturday, May 9, 2009

Long Fangs aren't that bad.

Alright I’ve got to be honest I’m tired of seeing these grizzled veterans getting no respect. Everywhere I go on the internet SW players are bashing the use of Fangs.

I’m going to offer up a little insight to help you understand why I think they still have a place in almost any SW army.

In 5th ed they are a solid choice if deployed properly. They should always be deployed in cover with at least two lanes of fire. Taking full advantage of the cover saves and split fire rules. I can’t possibly be the only vet Wolf player to figure this out.

At range Long Fangs are more survivable than most tanks and cannot be destroyed by one lucky shot. The only thing tanks have as an advantage over Fangs is maneuverability, but well deployed Fangs won’t need to worry about moving.

Give your opponent other threats to shoot at. Misdirection is a great way to keep the heat off your Fangs. I prefer to make it something fast that can be in his face at any time.

Keep them relatively cheap; with 5 models at or around 200 points which is cheap for Fangs. Avoid the urge to pay much more than 200 points because then they start to become a point sink. I think this is part of the reason most have written them off.

Four Fangs armed with Missile Launchers are a solid choice. They come in at 189 points and work against armor and hordes equally well.

I hope everyone who reads this gives Fangs another look.

1 comment:

  1. I think the biggest problem people have with Long Fangs is that with 5 guys, they really can't take casualties. It's easy to get a heavy weapon out of there, and if you lose the leader you lose the fire-splitting power.

    ReplyDelete