Monday, March 19, 2012

Available for limited painting Commissions



Hey guys I just wanted to let the larger community know that I do a limited amount of commission painting. I have mostly been doing them for my friends, which has been great fun. I am out of work right now and could use some extra cash to supplement my hobby.

Disclaimer: Some of you may think that my prices are a bit high; which may be true in some cases, but I do quality work and am not willing to work for much less than minimum wage. I have spent a lot of time working out these prices over the past few years. By the time I am done with cleaning, building and painting an entire army I usually make between 7-8 dollars an hour.

I offer a wide range of miniature related services. From painting to modeling, I can be your one stop location for assembling and painting your miniature armies. The prices for my services are listed below, these prices reflect cleaning and building your models as well as our standard quality paint job; better than your average tabletop quality but not quite competition quality. I can do higher quality paintjobs with pricing being discussed on a case by case basis.

Painting Price list

Character Models are start off at $80 depending on the model. (These models are painted to a much higher standard than the “grunt” models and are meant to be centerpieces to your army.)

Standard Models (20mm-30mm Base) $10.00

Weapons Teams $20.00 (Ork gunz, IG Heavy Weapons Teams, Eldar Weapons Platforms)

Medium Models (40mm Base) $14.00

Bikes/Cavalry $16.00 (mounted on cavalry or bike bases)

Large Models (50/60mm/Chariots/Attack Bike/WFB Warmachine) $30.00

X-Large Models $45.00 (Trygon/Tervigon, WFB giants and large Warmachines)

Giant Warbeast Models $65.00 (WFB Warsphinx, Stonehorn, Hellpit Abomination)

*Pre-assembled Small Vehicle (Walkers, Land Speeder/Vyper) $25.00

Small Vehicle (Walkers, Land Speeder/Vyper) $45.00

*Pre-assembled Medium Vehicle (Rhino/Chimera/Wave Serpent/Trukk) $35.00

Medium Vehicle (Rhino/Chimera/Wave Serpent/Trukk) $55.00

*Pre-assembled Large Vehicle (Land Raider/Battlewagon/Monolith/) $65.00

Large Vehicle (Land Raider/Battlewagon/Monolith/) $95.00

X-Large Vehicle determined on a model by model basis

Basing

Basic (painted sand your choice of color with patches of flock) included in the base cost

Premium basing (rubble, static grass or anything else reasonable or client provided resin bases) $2.50 per model


Extras

Fully detailed and painted vehicle interior $25.00 (basic grey/tan with a wash interiors are included in the base costs listed above)

Model Conversion prices are determined on a case by case basis.

Custom printed decals (design provided by client) $20.00

Simple Magnetization $ 10.00 (one mounting point on the models body)

Complex Magnetization (multiple mounting points on the same model) $18.00

Notes:
Prices are subject to change, I will do my best to keep this post updated.
* I have a high standard for my commission work when it comes to preparing and building vehicles. To gain the pre-assembled rate the models must have all “burrs” from removing the model from the sprues and any mold lines that may be on the model must be removed. If they are not adequately removed I will take pictures of the non cleaned up models and charge $10.00 to clean up the offending items.


Shipping

I use UPS ground with tracking to ship, since the US Post office has decided to be unworthy losing a commission that had to be redone. So far I have found UPS ground to be pretty reasonable with shipping running between 8-25 dollars for the various commissions I have sent in the past.

I wrap models in bubble wrap and fill the rest of the space with packing peanuts. I have not had any issue with breakage so far.


Setting up a commission

Getting in touch with me is simple just go to my blogger profile and email me from there. Then we can start discussing your project.

Below are some example of my work both personal and commission

Converted (major) HQ quality model

Converted (minor) HQ quality model
Stock HQ quality model




Cheers,
Jim

6 comments:

  1. I have used Big Jim to paint the Angels of Vengeance Deathwing models pictured above and I can say that his services are outstanding and of a much higher quality than you probably paint yourself.
    As someone who has and does use a variety of painting services for his models, I can say that Big Jim has painted the models in our Table Top War collection of armies that have the most attention to detail and have the highest standard of painting.
    This is by no means a put down on other painting services. It is a compliment to Big Jim who goes beyond tradition painting services with his attention to detail and his precision in painting models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your new business! I must say those prices are average and even lower than most in some cases. Having done a fair amount of commissions myself I can tell you it is next to impossible to get over minimum wage, unless you are capable of pulling miracles like GMM and busting out whole armies in less than a week. If you don't already, get yourself an airbrush set up, works wonders for those bigger commissions (like doing 8+ rhinos at once, (oh the horror!)

    Sometimes I get inquiries about projects I just cannot accept so I'll try to pass 'em your way. Unfortunately it is typically the ones where the client doesn't like my prices.

    Another suggestion would be to be active on Dakka and respond to inquiries as you can...somtimes little bidding wars start and its best to avoid those but still...there is a demand out there, it's just a tough one coz its a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys!

    @Mags, it's always been a pleasure to work with and for you!

    @Tim, I put that little disclaimer in due to a few commission inquiries. I do agree the on the prices they are overall average; I tried to put the standard prices in between the low end painters and the more high priced ones. I have been lucky so far as to keep myself making about min-wage and am satisfied with that.

    I do have an airbrush and plan to get a new one shortly. I do all my vehicle base coating with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Big Jim,
    From one commission painter to another, I just want to wish you good luck with this endeavor! Just make sure you keep yourself motivated, hobby burnout can really make commissions hard sometimes.

    Good luck man!
    Branden
    Smells Like Wargaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bro, I appreciate it. I have been doing commissions on and off for a long time now and know all too well that burnout can happen. I have a few little tricks that tend to keep that feeling at bay.

    Thanks again,
    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck with he commission painting. Your stuff looks great so I'm sure you'll have plenty of happy customers.

    ReplyDelete