Monday, March 15, 2010

Beware the Ides of March, and Big Jim throwing out new unit ideas!


Heed the warning signs, don't be caught off guard like Caesar.

Now that that is out of the way, lets get to the real reason for this post. New unit ideas for the Soul Reapers.

I will be adding Drop pods to the next playtest min-dex, they will basically be clones of the loyalist versions with a Chaos twist.

There will be two ways to field them. The fist is as a normal transport, the second will be a Planetary assault. To gain access to the planetary assault rule the list must contain no units that may not deep strike or take a pod, the only exception is bikes if Eris the Seeker is in the army.

The next thing I am debating adding is a new type of Predator.

Soul Reapers Predator Exterminator

Base cost 90 points

The Exterminator has twin-linked Exterminator Autocannons mounted in the turret. With the same stats as the exterminator AC from the codex IG.

Range-48, Str-7, AP-4, Heavy-4, twin-linked

It may have heavy bolter sponsons as listed in the Pred entry in the CSM codex; or autocannon sponsons for 45 points.

The upgrade options are as listed in the Pred entry also.

I may also be adding a Pintle mounted Heavy Bolter upgrade for 15 points to all Soul Reapers Rhinos. First off I think it will look awesome, secondly it makes for a more realistic support weapon for a battle taxi.

I have one more unit idea brewing in my head but it still needs fleshing out before I present it.

Cheers,
Jim

8 comments:

  1. You stole my blog title for the day! :-p (ondeathswings.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry bout that, but it is the "Ides o' March".

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about looted Hurricne Bolters on the side?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, I had originally thought about giving it twin-linked Plasma gun sponsons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, Big Jim has time on his hands.

    First: I really like the idea of the drop pods. However, to make it stand apart from the regular SM codex and show the rare nature of the drop pods, perhaps, you should make them only available if there is a planetary assault?

    As for the Predator variant, you army is suppose to be a close combat style army. Why not make the tank fit this roll even more? Twin Linked Heavy Flamer in the Turrent and twin linked flamers in the sponsons....the chaos flame tank.??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback, buddy. I have been leaning toward the Planetary Assault only for pods, so get the heck outta my head!

    I had been considering a flame variant until I saw the new Baal Pred. I have really considered just using the Flamestorm Baal variant, but decided on a support Pred instead. Maybe I should make a Plasma cannon turreted Pred with twin-linked plasma gun sponsons. It would be a real Marine killer.

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. And plasma guns get hot IIRC, how about Assault cannons on the sponson?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, vehicle mounted Plasma does not get hot.

    ReplyDelete