Monday, May 31, 2010

Hell Riders Chaos Space Marine Cavalry: Soul Reapers unit proposal and Poll

Model courtesy B.smoove.

I have to be honest until I posted the Wargear update for the Soul Reapers, I wasn't convinced that a generic Chaos mount was a great idea. After seeing great conversions by B.smooves from a Gentleman's Ones and Tim's Centurions from Tim's Minis Blog; I knew that they would be an great looking modeling opportunity.

Then Flekkzo made a comment, and just had to bring up a thought that I had buried deep in the back of my mind. He made these comments:

Maybe even introduce a cavalry unit a la thunderwolves? Would be a fresh addition and make it possible for the IC to mingle with it's own type.

And imagine fiery demon steeds with chaos marines on them. Don't tell me you don't want a unit like that:)


A unit of Chaos Marine cavalry mounted on Daemonic steeds! Curse you Flekkzo, my gaming buddies read the blog and they think it is an awesome idea.

So after two weeks of badgering, I have decided to present a unit proposal and a poll to go with it.

Hell Riders

The Hell Steed of Chaos is one of the only indigenous creatures left on Ehdan, the home world of the Soul Reapers. They are equines that have been twisted by thousands of years of isolation and exposure within the Warp. They leave trails of fire wherever their hooves meet the ground.

A very select group of Chosen Soul Reapers ride these daemonic steeds into battle. They think of themselves as the Honor Guard of the Salmora Artifacts, riding to war like the ancient warriors of his time. The rest of the Warband refer to them as the Hell Riders.

Hell Riders

Points Value:
60pts each

WS-4, BS-4, S-4, T-5, W-2, I-5, A-3, LD-10

Unit type:
Cavalry

Unit Composition:
2-5

Wargear:
Power armor
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
Frag and Krak grenades

Special Rules:
Fearless
5+ Invulnerable save
Honor Guard: to include a unit of Hell Riders in a Soul Reapers army, the army must contain an Exalted Champion mounted on a Hell Steed.

Options:
Any model may take Melta bombs 5pts

One model may take one of the following Icons
Personal Icon 5pts
Icon of Perpetual War 25pts

Up to two may:
replace their bolt pistol with a plasma pistol 10pts
or
replace their close combat weapons with power weapons 15pts

One may be upgraded to a Champion for 10pts (+1 attack)

The Champion may replace his close combat weapon with:
Power weapon 15pts
Power Fist 25pts

The Champion may replace his bolt pistol with a plasma pistol 10pts

Now having seen the ideas for the unit, please vote in the poll at the top of the page, and if it's not too much trouble let me know how you voted.

Comments and feedback welcome as always!

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea as well as the model & paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the model sells the idea quite well. I am very curious to hear about any playtesting done with this unit. Chaos really should have more fun stuff than they get in their codex. It's not like the chaos gods have a ban on technology or use of the warp:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments.

    Flekkzo, I will be taking them for their fist proxy test drive on Thursday.

    Keep the feedback coming.

    Thanks,
    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the props. Once again, I am flattered. I'll be finishing my unit sometime later this week, and promise to get the photos up in a timely manner.

    I think you've probably already guessed how I voted. I'm looking forward to hearing about the playtesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No prob, buddy! I cannot wait to see the rest of the unit!

    For those of you who voted no, could you please take a few seconds to elaborate, what you dislike about the idea. It would be helpful.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little late to the party, but I love the idea.
    If you take into consideration that the Chaos Space Marines are "unable" to use modern technology because they can not repair it, I am sure they would find an alternative...pluse b.smoove did a fantastic job on the model...
    ...and that alone is worth a unit entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never late buddy, no matter the time, your opinions are always welcome!

    I do agree his models sell it!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete