Monday, February 22, 2010

Forge World Imperial Armor rules: part 1


Many gamers void the FW IA rules like the plague, and there are lots of claims that they are really unbalanced. While this may be the case with some IA units, it just isn't true in the broadest view of the IA rules.

As an amateur game designer I can see that the units in the IA books have not been vetted for competitive play. All I have to say is "Duh...." these rules are made for themed gaming which is usually done in a casual setting. Now lets face the brutal facts; GW is far from perfect in 40k unit and Codex design even with their 18 month playtest and design structure.

If you find something that is really under pointed in the IA rules, like the 5 point Autocannon upgrade for the Chimera, by all means fix it. Make sure you discuss this with your opponent before hand. I am pretty sure that nobody is going to argue with you paying more points for an option than the IA book says to.

One tip I would give out to anyone playing with IA rules is that both players pick something to use from an IA book. This will number one help offset a lot of the perceived balance issues, it will also add to the fun of the game. IMHO!

Why should the casual gamer hamstring himself to the "officialdom" of the base 40k rules and Codecies. The IA rules add some great flavor options for almost every 40k army out there. If you have the opportunity to use the IA rules I say do it!

I originally had a very long article written for this topic, but lost it with my Computer issues last week. I have decided to instead do a short series of articles on the IA rules over the next month. So this is just the opening for the series.

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if they will redo the 2 chaos books that gw did Khorne warriors get a brass coller to stop psykic powers.... oooooooooh just done an upgrade for your soul reapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the FW rules for my dreads and Land Raiders. It makes no difference really.
    Unlees you're playing ultra competitively and you're looking to see how your army compares in an official setting/game... I don't see them being a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quite a few FW Tau models and use them whenever I get the chance. Only one or two units are 'better' than their codex alternatives, with the rest being mediocre in raw power terms, but that's not the point. As you say, FW units are about narrative gaming, and if you're not a narrative gamer you won't see the attraction and just see a set of untested, unbalanced rules.

    I have a series of reviews of Tau FW units on my blog, although I won't link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the post completely.

    I use a FW dreadnought and Razorback in my force, and have on occasion been approached by younger players querying how I can use them when they are not part of the army list. I always try and explain to them about using FW models and the reaction is generally a good one.

    Personally, I have never had someone refuse to play against wargear from an IA book. For the most part I think they are if anything a little overpriced, with a couple of exceptions like the Lucius drop pod and like you say the 5pt autocannon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody in my regular gaming circle plays with the FW rules or models. However, I do know that several of us want to add some of the models to our collection....I for one would love to add some Blight Drones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback guys!

    Sholto feel free to link them as I will be doing a collaborative post on IA rules and reviews.

    Mags, those Blight drones are awesome, I hope you do get some on the table!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont have any of the books only the updates they did on PDF.

    ReplyDelete