Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hobby Spotlight: Actual Scale Astartes by Doghouse


Well it’s time for me to spotlight the fantastic work of a friend of mine. Doghouse is one of the Pioneers of the True Scale Space Marines craze that has infected many forums. His journey began way back in 2002 with great strides made in the realm of True Scale Marines. Culminating back in 2007 with the advent of Actual Scale Astartes..

He takes Marine Terminators and turns them into fantastic looking models that represent the 7ft tall power armored Marines on the tabletop perfectly. They are true behemoths to behold.



Here’s a quote from Doghouse on the difference between True and Actual scale Marines:

“Actual Scale differs from True Scale in that it is an attempt to make marines that are proportionally in scale with the other denizens of the 40k universe rather than just make bigger marines.
Compared to regular human models they stand at approximately seven foot six in scale terms, towering over the regular plastic marines and terrifying your opponents.”






These days Doghouse and his work can be found on the Ammobunker and Bolter and Chainsword forums.

Actual Scale Astartes are a great way to represent the Movie Marines both loyal and traitor. I will be making my first attempt at creating one over the weekend!

Cheers,
Big Jim

4 comments:

  1. Truly awesome. I have been a fan of Doghouse's Marines since I first saw some of the WIPs in the forums. If I had a ton of cash, I would make all my stuff to actual scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, me too! The cost is why I think they are the perfect format for a Movie Marine army or a Kill Team style force.

    I've got a few really nifty Ideas for a scratch built Actual Scale Rhino!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to get a full army of these guys now

    Know if this guy does commissions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a great concept. I think I'm going to have to try my hand at true-scaling. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete