Friday, December 11, 2009

A look at Thunderwolf Cavalry, from the eyes of a casual gamer


I thought I’d give my take on the Thunderwolf Cavalry from the casual gamers stance, while I am waiting to see Adams keen take on the Thunderwolf Cavalry from a tournament player’s point of view over on the Space Wolves Blog.

I’ll admit that at first I wasn’t really thrilled with the concept of Thunderwolf Cavalry, but I have really warmed up to the idea. In fact after listening to Thunder from Fenris, I cannot imagine not fielding Thunderwolf Cavalry on a regular basis!

The really great thing is that as a unit they are pretty darned good, they are Cavalry so they are Fleet and they Assault 12 inches which makes them potentially very fast moving. Giving them at the worst a 19 inch threat range.

Thunderwolf Cavalry are also very tough with their two wounds and toughness of five only the most powerful weapons are a big threat to them. Opponents with a large volume of fire, is where the Thunderwolves have to be careful.

They also have a lot of useful options making them very flexible, just don’t go crazy with the upgrades! At the very least a couple with Melta Bombs, combined with the rest of them having Strength 5 Rending attacks can make them a serious threat to vehicles as well as infantry.

This is my Space Wolves list for next year, I will be taking as my Tourney list. I’ve decided to give foot sloggin’ Wolves a try, the first tourney of next year is in February so I have plenty of time to test it out!

HQ 215
Rune Priest
Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
100

Wolf Priest
Plasma pistol
115

Elites 400
5 Wolf Guard
2 in Terminator Armor with Power Fists, 2 Combi-Melta, 2 Power Fists, 1 Frost Blade & Storm shield
240

5 Wolf Scouts
Melta gun
85

Lone Wolf
Power Fist, Storm Shield
75

Troops 680
10 Grey Hunters
2 Melta guns, Power weapon
170

10 Grey Hunters
2 Melta guns, Power weapon
170

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma guns, Power weapon
175

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma guns, Power weapon
175

Fast Attack 310
Landspeeder
Multi-melta
60

Landspeeder
Multi-melta
60

3 Thunderwolf Cavalry
Thunderhammer, 1 Bolter, 2 Melta bombs
190

Heavy Support 240
Predator Destructor
LC sponsons
120

Predator Destructor
LC sponsons
120

1845

For 2000 points I’d drop 2 Grey Hunters one with the second Melta from one pack, and 1 Grey Hunter melta from the other pack for two Drop pods. I’d also pick up two more Thunderwolves one with a Storm Shield.

For the Thunderwolves themselves I've got a few ideas for models to to use for the conversions.

PS: While you might be wondering why I have posted this here as opposed to over on the Space Wolves Blog I have done it for a couple of reasons.

Adam has a clear vision for the Space Wolves blog being a Mecca of all things Space Wolf, from modeling and painting to game winning tactics aimed at getting the most out of your Space Wolves, which is fantastic.

I don't wanna muddy the waters by posting my casual fluffy Wolfy spin on things. Because I am first and foremost a casual Beer and Pretzels gamer, with tournaments and worrying about winning running a distant third after painting and modeling.

After the Holidays are over you can expect plenty of conversion guides/tutorials and painted model eye candy from me over on the Space Wolves Blog, so keep an eye out for them in the New Year, if not a little sooner.

Cheers,
-Big Jim

5 comments:

  1. Interesting.
    Thunder Wolf Calvary to me are one of two things:
    (1)Big Distraction - so few models.
    (2)The Center Piece to Your Army.

    Most people seem to be taking them as the center piece to their army, with all models being different to spread around the wounds, storm shield and thunder hammers/powerfists, to really boost the damage output. I am curious to see how your idea plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the use of plasma guns and the power weapons in your troops choices. I've just never been one to buy into the powerfist argument. They're good, but not the be-all-end-all. I'm curious as to how your army will fair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit I've been apprehensive about the wolves myself. They have just appeared and don't really fit with the long theme for the wolves chapter. I would have to play with them first of all to see what I thought and such.

    But I have to say. I hope we get to see your painting on LO. Its been missing for a good while. -__^ =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim, I'm perfectly happy with you posting this kind of stuff on the Space Wolves blog. As you've stated here, this is a fun and fluffy list. There's nothing wrong with that. Besides, some people don't want a crushing tournament army :)

    Although if you want me to be a critical tournament player, I'd swap all your terminator powerfists for chainfists, all your Grey Hunter power weapons for Mark of the Wulfen and give everyone a transport.

    Good call on the cheap Predators and the wolf scouts though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magilla, I’m kinda using them as both with all three being armed differently for wound allocation sillyness.

    WH 39,999, Thanks, I love the look of PG’s and PW’s so I’ve gotta use some. I too am curious if the list will ‘cut it’ competitively.

    Kuffy, I’ll be back on LO posting painted minis soon as I am getting back into the swing of painting again.

    Adam, that’s Kool I just didn’t wanna throw this up and mess with the Mojo. I had every intention of contacting you about this but got over excited and posted it here. I’ll post my follow up on Thunderwolves on the Space Wolves Blog. I’m gonna disclaimer all of my lists and advice as from the eyes of the casual gamer.

    I really like my Preds and Wolf Scouts!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete