Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reporting in from the Road: Rhino painting

Hey guys I thought I drop in and show you what I have been working on. Like I said in my previous post I need to get all of the Rhinos for the Soul Reapers finished. I really didn't like how the tarnished bronze was turning out with the drybrush techniques I was using; so I busted out the old airbrush and started over again.

This time I decided to attempt to get the tarnished bronze effect with the airbrush. I must say I am quite pleased with this first Rhino, so much so that I will be painting all the rest of the tanks using this technique. Since I had decided to start off fresh I made the decision to let a little of Menzies art grace the hulls of the Soul Reapers Rhinos. It's a case of reality mimicking art, thanks again Dude!



I think it turned out great, although it is a little off center.

It can be seen here in its art form:


Here is the rest of the Rhino, showing the tarnishing effect I was talking about.



What do you guys think I should I put on the other side of the front plate on the Rhino; a Chaos star or Skull?




Here's a sneak peak at the Reaver Champion, I will show the whole squad soon, as I am having trouble with my conversion for the demo pack.





I started painting the Harbinger of Malice today, and I am finally finishing up the last details on Xusia the Sorcerer. So expect an update soon.

11 comments:

  1. The Rhino looks fantastic.
    I would go with a Chaos Star on the other side of the red hull plate.
    I can not wait to see the "other" models you have in store for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Mags!

    I did the Chaos star on my Pred and it does look schweet! Maybe I'll do a start with a skull in the middle.

    Yeah, just wait until you see the secret project models. They are turning out really nice!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rhino is gorgeous and that Reaver Champion looks suitably brutal.

    As for the Rhino I think I'd be in favour of a skull on the front, though I suppose it depends on what its carrying on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Reaver Champion and the Bronze colour of the rhino. Good job done. As for what to put on plate, how about some roman numerals? Even Soul Reapers must account for their wargear? What Legion number were they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments guys!

    Siph, I was thinking about numbering the Rhinos, what if I used black roman numerals set on a yellow circle. I have scads of the loyalist decal sheets.

    Oh yeah, the Soul Reapers started off as the 17th great company of the World Eaters legion.

    Thanks again guys!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I do like that bronze effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Bud! I blame you for all the hard work that's going into the freehand on 5 Rhinos! You are an evil source of inspiration!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Jim - and I agree, you should number them.

    But what about something different - more chaotic? I'm not sure what, but maybe spikey-rune versions of the Roman numerals or something.

    Awesome painting - Brent

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Brent. So are you suggesting putting the Chaos arrow heads at each end of the numerals?

    I was already contemplating that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about a human/ tau shield on the front?

    ReplyDelete